Friday, September 14, 2012

Abandon Quotes

Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song. 
Pope John Paul II 


Once you start a working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest. 
Chanakya 


There will one day spring from the brain of science a machine or force so fearful in its potentialities, so absolutely terrifying, that even man, the fighter, who will dare torture and death in order to inflict torture and death, will be appalled, and so abandon war forever. 
Thomas A. Edison 


I had to abandon free market principles in order to save the free market system. 
George W. Bush 


The essence of optimism is that it takes no account of the present, but it is a source of inspiration, of vitality and hope where others have resigned; it enables a man to hold his head high, to claim the future for himself and not to abandon it to his enemy. 
Dietrich Bonhoeffer 


The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny. 
Napoleon Bonaparte 


Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives. 
Jean-Paul Sartre

The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon. 
George Washington 


Under this president, we have a government that has grown too big, too costly and now even more overbearing by forcing religious entities to abandon their beliefs. 
Marco Rubio 


To abandon oneself to principles is really to die - and to die for an impossible love which is the contrary of love. 
Albert Camus 


We can safely abandon the doctrine of the eighties, namely that the rich were not working because they had too little money, the poor because they had much. 
John Kenneth Galbraith 


In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth. 
Patti Smith 


Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. 
George Weinberg 


Believe it or not, lots of people change their majors and abandon their dreams just to avoid a couple of math classes in college. 
Danica McKellar 


All hope abandon, ye who enter here! 
Dante Alighieri

You must stick to your conviction, but be ready to abandon your assumptions. 
Denis Waitley 

We have to abandon the idea that schooling is something restricted to youth. How can it be, in a world where half the things a man knows at 20 are no longer true at 40 - and half the things he knows at 40 hadn't been discovered when he was 20? 
Arthur C. Clarke 

I think each role takes a little from you and circles around you for the rest of your life. I don't think you ever abandon any of them. 
Nicole Kidman 

Sex pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken. 
Simone de Beauvoir


I don't want to abandon one work for the other, and I don't think I need to sacrifice anything to put my all into either one of them. 
Aaliyah 



I don't wanna abandon my identity as LL Cool J, but at the same time, I had to figure out how to let people know that I'm really serious about making these movies. 
LL Cool J 


I'm guilty of extraordinary naivete, I suppose. But it's a naivete that I really don't want to abandon, not even now. 
Jock Sturges 


It seems that it is madder never to abandon one's self than often to be infatuated; better to be wounded, a captive and a slave, than always to walk in armor. 
Margaret Fuller 


I'm an artist, and the need to get inside myself and be creative and be other people is a part of who I am. I don't imagine I'll abandon that completely. 
Gwyneth Paltrow 


Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. 
Harriet Van Horne 


I don't let myself get carried away by my own ideas - I abandon 19 out of 20 of them every day. 
Gustav Mahler

It sounds corny, but I've promised my inner child that never again will I ever abandon myself for anything or anyone else again. 
Wynonna Judd 


Never abandon a theory that explains something until you have a theory that explains more. 
John McCarthy 


If you have abandoned one faith, do not abandon all faith. There is always an alternative to the faith we lose. Or is it the same faith under another mask? 
Graham Greene 


Life was given to me as a favor, so I may abandon it when it is one no longer. 
Charles de Secondat 


It is the soul's duty to be loyal to its own desires. It must abandon itself to its master passion. 
Rebecca West 


If we abandon marriage, we abandon the family. 
Michael Enzi 


All human societies go through fads in which they temporarily either adopt practices of little use or else abandon practices of considerable use. 
Jared Diamond 


Therefore, when I considered this carefully, the contempt which I had to fear because of the novelty and apparent absurdity of my view, nearly induced me to abandon utterly the work I had begun. 
Nicolaus Copernicus 


I'd paint long strips of canvas and abandon them on the beach, or put bread out in geometric patterns for the pigeons downtown. I wanted people to find something nice and intriguing to puzzle over. Then I'd go back to see if the things were still there, or if anyone would notice. 
Jenny Holzer 


So I ask the nuclear powers to abandon the out-of-date thinking of the Cold War period and take a fresh look. Above all, I appeal to them to bear in mind the long-term threat that nuclear weapons pose to humankind and to begin action towards their elimination. 
Joseph Rotblat 


I would never write realistic prose. I don't like people who try to write in a poetic style, but in the course of their book abandon it for realism, and weave back and forth like drunkards between the surreal and the real. 
Marguerite Young 


The fact is, every thinker, every philosopher, the moment he is forced to abandon his one-sided intellectual occupation by practical necessity, immediately returns to the general point of view of mankind. 
Ernst Mach 


I thought that by saying no and explaining my reasons my employer would abandon his social suggestions. However, to my regret, in the following few weeks, he continued to ask me out on several occasions. 
Anita Hill


British chancellor is telling the rest of Europe it must abandon democracy. It's appalling. 
Nigel Farage 


For every path you choose, there is another you must abandon, usually forever. 
Joan D. Vinge 


There are certainly times when my own everyday life seems to retreat so the life of the story can take me over. That is why a writer often needs space and time, so that he or she can abandon ordinary life and "live" with the characters. 
Margaret Mahy 


But the approach to recording this album was kind of an organized, chaotic approach where I wanted to maintain and preserve that wild abandon to creating. 
Vanessa Carlton 


I wouldn't abandon nobody. I would be lying if I said I was just talking to everybody. 
Puff Daddy 


If I can procure three hundred good substantial names of persons, or bodies, or institutions, I cannot fail to do well for my family, although I must abandon my life to its success, and undergo many sad perplexities and perhaps never see again my own beloved America. 
John James Audubon 


For my own part, I abandon the ethics of duty to the Hegelian critique with no regrets; it would appear to me, indeed, to have been correctly characterized by Hegel as an abstract thought, as a thought of understanding. 
Paul Ricoeur

If they wish to alleviate the sufferings of the exploited classes, let them live up to their pretensions, let them abandon the academy and go out there and work politically and economically and in a humanitarian spirit. 
Harold Bloom 


Particularly at around the age of 70 you reach a stage where you have to be very careful. If, at that point, you abandon the work you have been doing, there is a good chance that you will just collapse and drift. 
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau 


Rather than be asked to abandon one's own heritage and to adapt to the mores of the new country, one was expected to possess a treasure of foreign skills and customs that would enrich the resources of American living. 
Rudolf Arnheim 


Applying different standards to al Qaeda does not abandon Geneva, but only recognizes that the U.S. faces a stateless enemy never contemplated by the Conventions. 
John Yoo 


This was the period when I used all the influence I had to get the British to abandon their export trade, and as much as possible convert all of their manufacturing facilities to the immediate needs of the war, including civilian, as well as military requirements. 
W. Averell Harriman 


We are not abandoning our convictions, our philosophy or traditions, nor do we urge anyone to abandon theirs. 
Mikhail Gorbachev 


When elected officials abandon our environment and ruin our natural resources, public health is endangered. I know the importance of providing a clean environment for our children; I have attended more than one funeral for a child who has died from an asthma attack. 
Gwen Moore 


No one wants to abandon the Israelis. But I think the perception is, and I think it's probably an accurate perception, that the tail is leading the dog - that we are giving the Israelis carte blanche ability to exercise whatever they want to do in their area. 
Michael Scheuer 


If either player abandon the game by quitting the table in anger, or in an otherwise offensive manner; or by momentarily resigning the game; or refuses to abide by the decision of the Umpire, the game must be scored against him. 
Howard Staunton 


A good dancer is an educated one, so don't abandon school. 
Deborah Bull 


The task which we have set ourselves is simply to show why and for what purpose we hold that standpoint during most of our lives, and why and for what purpose we are provisionally obliged to abandon it. 
Ernst Mach 


At issue in the Hiss Case was the question whether this sick society, which we call Western civilization, could in its extremity still cast up a man whose faith in it was so great that he would voluntarily abandon those things which men hold good, including life, to defend it. 
Whittaker Chambers 


I work, and then whenever I have any other time, I'm with my daughter, and then I go to sleep. I think you basically have to abandon the dreams of having any other adult activities in your life. You have to go to sleep whenever your child goes to sleep. That's basically how we're doing it. 
Tina Fey


Leaders must pick causes they won't abandon easily, remain committed despite setbacks, and communicate their big ideas over and over again in every encounter. 
Rosabeth Moss Kanter 


We just have to be crystal clear that if we were to abandon all the reforms made over some very painful years in the Labour party, we would be consigned back to opposition. 
Patricia Hewitt 


Jim, as just a spoken poet, was not that good. He needed the music behind him. He felt a security and a sense of abandon when the music existed around him. 
Ray Manzarek 


One of the hardest things to believe is that anyone will abandon the effort to escape a charge of murder. It is extremely important to suspend disbelief on that. If you don't, the story is spoiled. 
Rex Stout 


The writer cannot abandon himself simply to inspiration, and feign innocence vis a vis language, because language is never innocent. 
Juan Goytisolo 


This head has risen above its hair in a moment of abandon known only to men who have drawn their feet out of their boots to walk awhile in the corridors of the mind. 
Djuna Barnes 


This disaster did not force us to abandon our ideal; on the contrary, from the very first months of the conflict, it led us to define precisely the conditions for its realization. 
Leon Jouhaux

Everything I do, I do with reckless abandon. 
Jolene Blalock 


The truth is, it's not a great career move to create a readership and then, in effect, abandon them. 
Dan Simmons 


You can fire your secretary, divorce your spouse, abandon your children. But they remain your co-authors forever. 
Ellen Goodman 


Without any formal orders to retreat, what was left of the several organizations yielded to a general impulse to abandon the field. Officers and men became controlled by the one thought of getting as far as possible from the enemy. 
Henry Villard 


If you wish to avoid foreign collision, you had better abandon the ocean. 
Henry Clay 


Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. 
John F. Kerry 


You must be ready to give up everything, not only material attachments but also human attachments - father, mother, wife, children - everything that you have. But the one thing which you have to abandon unconditionally is your self. 
Bede Griffiths 


There's something magical about putting yourself into life. You've got to stand up and take responsibility for your own life and you cannot abandon that. 
Bill Kurtis 


There is no reason to change this system. I don't think we'll abandon it. For us the most important thing is to be compact in the back. That's the kind of game we have to play here and it will be very difficult to beat us. 
Oliver Kahn 


If in my fight I can encourage even some people to understand and to abandon policies they now so blindly follow, I shall not regret any punishment I may incur. 
Bram Fischer 


Unless we abandon elements which resemble a police state, we can't meet the demands of being a modern society. 
Ahmet Necdet Sezner 


If nations could only depend upon fair and impartial judgments in a world court of law, they would abandon the senseless, savage practice of war. 
Belva Lockwood 


We are not going to abandon Iraq. 
Zalmay Khalilzad

No comments:

Post a Comment